Monday, April 28, 2008

Experiments with Composition

Nicholas Troia
Graphic Design
Rutgers, Newark

This is a collection of photos that I have taken in Intro to Photography at Rutgers Newark, Spring 2008 semester. I've titled this blog "Experiments with Composition" because that has been exactly my thought process throughout this semester of work. As a graphic design student, I enjoy exploring shapes, dimensions, and overall composition in my art, and I feel this same thought process can be seen in my photographs this semester. I like the idea of making something ordinary, look special or extraordinary, through the use of dynamic composition and lighting/shadows. I took many of these photos in the great urban environment of the Newark/New York City area, which has given me much inspiration. I focused on strong horizontal and vertical lines throughout my photos, attempting to give the compositions structure, movement, as well as keeping them dynamic. I hope you enjoy my photos from this semester.


Worker, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Market, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Metropolitan Evil, 2008


Waiting, 2008


Rush, 2008


Rush pt.2, 2008


Patience, 2008


Arival, 2008


Arival pt. 2, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Home, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Bridge St., 2008


Bridge St. pt. 2, 2008


Untitled, 2008


Untitled, 2008


End, 2008

6 comments:

How I See It said...

I this photo for a number of reasons. It looks like an investigation with the light shining on the apple like that. But on the contrast, it looks like the knife is about to cut and kill the apple. Maybe the knife is sneaking up behind the apple.

Mark DeGuzman: said...

I truly admire your "metropolitan evil". You make your viewer take a look at what's behind these icons of beauty and fashion. It's really in the eyes (or lack there of), and that thing draped around her shoulders. It looks like something from a horror movie, but I bet it was supposed to be pretty.

There's an old Twilight Zone episode of a woman stuck in a department store and mannequins going after her. In the end, it's revealed that the woman herself was a mannequin and that every year one mannequin is chosen to live life in the real world, and this supposed "woman" over did her stay.

Anibal Francisco said...

the detail in these give it a real professional look! what kind of camera do you use?

Nicholas Troia said...

thanks guys.

and for who asked: i use a canon rebel xt camera

A|X_Chino said...

Hey Nico, your Photo titled Bridge St. Part 2 was awesome. As of right now I have it as my wallpaper. But anyway, this picture has great composition and timing. Love the fact that you took this diagonally, it definitely gave it that dynamic effect you were looking for but, i know the real reason why you did it. I do the same thing. You wanted to get as much landscape as possible. I usually take my pictures that way too to give as much depth into the picture as posssible. Also, the lights are amazing. The spotlight in the distance was pretty cool and the streak of light across the sky was unreal. Great picture. It was fun having you in my printing session. TTYL bro. ;D

Christina N. said...

Mark and I seem to share a favorite amongst your pictures. I have to say that "Metropolitan Evil" is quite powerful, in the sense that the lighting is perfect. It shines directly on the mannequin to expose the detail and color, yet hides the eyes to create an almost sinister effect. She also seems like a potential villain in a future James Bond movie.

I love your work, and the quality of your photographs is very impressive from the angles at which you capture them.